I’ve upgraded from a 46 inch Samsung 3D Smart TV. The Sony KDL-50W805C is a feature-rich 50 inch TV with a nice design, great screen and picture with higher refresh rate which ultimately reduces motion blur, and I can definitely see the difference when watching sports and fast action movies. The TV also has good sound and the superb Android TV interface (Smart TV) that is easy to navigate and customise so you can make changes to suit your preferred viewing. A firmware update is imminent which will deliver YouView with 7 day catch-ups on all 4 networks (BBC, ITV, C4, C5).
What I Like?
– Stunning, crisp & detailed picture, Full HD 1080P- High screen refresh rate ensures sports and fast flowing movies have no motion blur
– Clean & simple design with very thin bezel. Nice and simple stand- Nice 10W x 2 sound with various options (including for stand or wall-mount)
– Freeview + Freeview HD- BBC Red Button (text) & Red Button+- iPlayer app for BBC catch-up TV. YouView with 7 day catch-ups for all channels – due 17th August
– Android TV (Smart TV) with customisable interface and great usability. Lots of apps (Plex, YouTube, Google, Games, Movies), connect your Google account, display what you want on the home screen such as apps, recommendations, inputs, etc. Search by voice (via optional touchpad remote) or keyboard/mouse
– Remote Control: Netflix button, live football button to enhance the sound, Action Menu for quick links, favourites and display tweets, Bravia Sync, Map TV button to (digital, satellite, HDMI, AVI, screen mirroring)
– Easy to navigate menus & settings including: picture, sound, screensaver, power, Illumination LED, auto firmware updates, accounts, language, timers, etc
– Works well with my Synology NAS, over DLNA, also via connected USB drive. Plays all Audio and Video formats I’ve thrown at it so far: MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MP3, Flac, Ape
– Wi-Fi & Ethernet Connection (I use wired with a powerplug for optimum speed, quality and reliability)
– Connect your Smartphone with Miracast Screen mirroring or optional MHL adapter
– Apps work well: Amazon Instant Video, Plex, iPlayer, Netflix. Plus I’ve downloaded a few without problems
– Bravia Sync: Connect & control multiple devices from one remote: Blu-Ray, DVD, A/V Amps, Smartphone linked by HDMI
– Bluetooth: Connect Sony touchpad remote & 3D glasses, headphones, speakers, keyboad, mouse, etc
– Opera Browser is good, fast, but Flash is not up to date to view some online videos
– Daydream Screen Saver with multiple options is a nice feature- Lots of External Inputs
– View and hear your sound photos on your TV by simply connecting your Sony camera via USB, HDMI or wirelessly with Home Network
– 40cm VESA mounting holes on the back for wall-mount brackets. Holes are lower than central, account for this when mounting on wallWhat I Don’t Like?- 3D Glasses not included.
– Touchpad Remote (RMF-TX100E) not included. Voice search works via this remote.
– Only 1 catch-up app available – BBC iPlayer. YouView apparently coming 17th August via firmware update.
– Recording of Live TV doesn’t work – update due Oct 2015.
– No Schedule Viewing & Schedule Recording on EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) – update due Oct 2015.
– My Synology NAS nor USB drives display on Input Devices List. These are accessed in the (Video, Music, Album) Apps via the Home button.
– The paper User Manual isn’t great.
– Update Firmware: Home Button (Android TV) > Settings > About > System Update.
– Check Firmware Version & Contact Sony Support: Help Button > System Information.
– Set Up Screen Mirroring: Ensure your router has WiFi turned on > Turn Wi-Fi Direct on, in the Sony TV Settings Menu > On your mobile phone, activate screen mirroring in settings > Scan to find TV > Select TV.
1. You can download a Miracast app from the Google Play Store to use as a shortcut. Tip
2. If the TV and Smartphone fail to connect, power on/off the TV and phone and try again.
– Android TV v5 (Smart TV)
– Bravia, LED, Full HD 1920 x 1080P, X-Reality Pro
– 3D- YouView 7 Day Catch-ups (BBC, ITV, C4, C5)
– Motionflow XR 800 Hz Refresh Rate
– Freeview, Freeview HD- BBC Red Button, Red Button+- 2 x 10W Sound: Standard/Cinema/Live Football/Music, ClearAudio+, Surround, DSEE for sound enhancement, Dolby, Nicam, Night setting
– 8GB Internal Storage Space
– USB Recording
– Browser: Opera
– WiFi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Google Cast, Wi-Fi Direct, MHL, DLNA- Bravia
Sync: Control multiple devices with 1 remote
– Screen Mirroring (smartphone, tablet)
– Connect: Remotes, touchpad, smartshock 4 controller, voice search, mouse, keyboard, speakers, USB drive, sony cameras
– Accessibility: Subtitles, text to speech, text magnification, talkback, switch access
– Illumination LED- Input Ports: DVB-T aerial, DVB-S satellite, 3 x USB, 4 x HDMI, SCART, Ethernet, A/V, Headphones, Optical- VESA Mount: 40cm- Energy Rating: A+- Weight: 13.7KG, (14.6KG with stand)
– Dimensions: 111.6 x 65.4 x 5.9cm
In the Box:
– Sony KDL-50W805C TV
– Stand & Screws
– Remote with Batteries
– Power Lead
– Startup Guide
– User Guide
– Wall-Mount Attachment
– Touchpad Remote with voice search: RMF-TX100E
– MHL Adapter: DLC-MC10, DLC-MC20