Because I’m running 2 x EySpy247 IP cameras at home, I was interested to test the covert PLC-128PW spy camera when approached by Phylink. I’ve recently taken someone to court and won using footage from my cameras, so I fully understand the importance of surveillance and evidence in modern day life. Be it outside watching your car, house or business, or inside watching your office, retail premises or more importantly your child or pet.
The PHYLINK PLC-128PW is a 720P HD Covert IP Camera with pinhole size lens which is suitable for your home or business and is equally as effective for surveillance and for recording and storing videos as evidence – with audio if required. This enables instant playback any time, anywhere. With a very discrete size the PLC-128PW offers multiple mounting options including flat surface or angled on a wall, ceiling, or even behind a wall for the ultimate in covert surveillance, and once installed is very hard to spot.
The camera connects to your network in seconds via wired Ethernet or wireless and is powered by mains power or PoE (Power over Ethernet) – if you have a PoE network switch. This feature-rich camera includes motion detection triggers, email alerts and can be accessed via web, app (Andorid and IOS) with remote viewing. You can record to microSD card (128GB Max – not included), NAS, NVR, PC, Mac, Cloud such as Dropbox, Email or FTP. The only downside versus recording to SD card, is that the camera server (PC, MAC or NAS) need to be on permanently to record and save the video.
Setting up the camera is a simple process using a PC, Mac or mobile app and once set up you can view videos on your desktop or mobile via the Phylink app. On the desktop software and Android and IOS mobile apps you can view live video, record, take a snapshot photo (jpeg) and edit various settings.The camera 720p HD resolution and recorded video quality (H.264) is excellent and would be perfect for surveillance, detection or a criminal prosecution. The quality is definitely good enough for court evidence and a prosecution – I’ve recently been through a legal process and provided inferior quality evidence from another camera and won. I’ve tested in various rooms and locations including looking through glass and all are great for optimum security and peace of mind be it watching your child, pet or vehicle.
The data from the Phylink camera is also being sent directly to my Android S5 and iPhone 6 apps for optimum security. Highly Recommended Covert Camera!
SETTING UP THE CAMERA:
Please Note: Even if you want to use the camera wirelessly (or wired via a powerplug) you first need to connect it directly to your router to connect to your network.
1. Ensure WiFi is turned on and you have your router password handy. Connect your smart phone to WiFi.
2. Decide on the location of the camera and if you will be using wired Ethernet or Wireless connectivity. If wired, ensure the 8M cable will reach even if using a powerplug.3. Download the Phylink app for your Android or iPhone from the app stores.
3. If using a microSD to store recordings insert it now, before power is applied.
4. Now connect the camera to the main unit and connect the unit directly to your router using the included wired Ethernet cable. This is done to connect the camera to your network and to establish a local IP address. You can later change this to a static IP if required.
5. Next, connect mains power. If using PoE skip this step.
6. You can now access the camera directly via the mobile app, web browser admin panel using IP address or via the included Camera Live software for PC or Mac. To establish the camera IP you can use the Camera Live software, via your router admin panel or using an IP Scanner software.
7. Now you can attach the wireless antenna and access the camera wirelessly. You can set this up via the camera web browser admin panel, Phylink mobile app (Android or IOS) or using the WPS buttons on your router and main unit.
8. Your camera is now working for surveillance. To set up motion detection triggers, email alerts, select your storage location, add date stamp, set a static IP, etc, login to the browser admin panel via the camera IP address. Alternatively edit the settings in your mobile app: Camera > Menu > Edit Camera > Advanced Setting.9. You can now also install Camera Live software for easy to use camera controls or use a software of your choice for further options such as Blue Iris or my preferred software, Sighthound. *Bear in mind, Sighthound does not record audio so if this is a requirement you may want to look elsewhere.
IF USING THE CAMERA THROUGH GLASS:
If the lighting is good outside at night, the camera will work well through glass.Personally, I recommend scrapping the included software for recording video, (you’ll never get it working right through glass), and purchase Sighthound (my recommendation) or Blue Iris (manufacturers recommendation) software instead. Sighthound records continuously for the period you determine (I record/store data for 5 days, and allocate 500GB space for this – 250GB x 2 cameras) after which time it overwrites the previous data after this allocated period. You can set any time and space allocation. Bear in mind, Sighthound does not record audio so if this is a requirement, look elsewhere.
Sighthound works differently in that it searches the recorded video for specific rules such as people, cars, animals and categorises these with various filters including recording for your desired times (Example: 10pm – 8am). Exporting videos is also easy per event and includes camera name, date and time. The time stamp on the videos is nicer, and the guys at Sighthound are great too. I have 2 cameras working fine with Sighthound, on PC, Mac and remotely via Android and Apple phones, using the Sighthound app.
– 720P HD video, H.264, MPEG4, MJPEG configurable streams.
– Windows & Mac compatible, Free software for PC.
– Free Apps for iOS and Android, view and hear remotely from anywhere.
– Quick setup within minutes, no complicated settings needed.
– Micro SD DVR (supports cards up to 64GB).
– Motion record/alerts via Push Notifications/Email/FTP.
– Fully compatible connectivity, works over Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or Power over Ethernet (PoE).
IN THE BOX:
-128PW HD Covert Spy Camera with 8M Cable
– Main Unit, Wireless Antenna, Mains power Adapter with 3M Cable
– 1M Ethernet Cable- 3 x Mounting Brackets + Screws
– CD-ROM with Camera Live Software (for PC & Mac), Installation PDFs
– Paper Quick Install Guide (I recommend using the latest PDF manual).