I own a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition so I jumped at the chance to test the MEMTEQ F56 against it. I’d previously seen the GoPro look-a-likes for sale and thought it impossible for them to come anywhere close to a GoPro. WRONG! With a similar size body and waterproof case, 1080P resolution, and 60 fps (frames per second) at 720P, integrated WiFi, remote control plus smartphone app remote option and integrated LCD screen, the MEMTEQ F56 equals the GoPro in many departments.
The main differences are body colour, on GoPro cameras it’s silver, the MEMTEQ comes in black, most GoPro’s have Bluetooth, the free iSmart DV app doesn’t have as many options as the GoPro app and the GoPro accessories feel a touch more expensive and have more of a black shine…
But the MEMTEQ videos are full 1080P HD at 30fps, or if you require fast action shots you have 720P at 60fps, equaling the basic GoPro Hero. It also has WiFi, remote option and navigating the user menu on the integrated screen is a doddle, with many functions available – GoPro cameras don’t have a screen as standard, you have to pay extra for the pleasure. The app is simple to set-up and use via the integrated Wi-Fi, and allows wireless recording and video playback. It’s fine for most people, who want to record videos and take quick emergency snapshots without the need to adjust lots of settings.
Considering the MEMTEQ investment is up to 85% less than the top end GoPro, the F56 is definitely a product to consider especially for the casual action camera user, bike/car commuter and/or if you are on a budget. It’s essentially a lower cost, slightly simplified GoPro but with most of the features that the GoPro cameras have. I haven’t tested the F56 camera under water but in the rain, on the bike, it performed as it should, no leaks. The case is extremely well built and durable with a tight seal. I’ve tested the camera with a Class 10 64GB microSD card and it worked fine – format it inside the camera prior to use. I genuinely recommend this camera for the price, in comparison to the far more expensive GoPro cameras.
Video & Photo Spec:
– Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 (FHD / 30fps), 1280 720P (30fps), 1280 720P (60fps)
– Image resolution: 12M (4000 x 3000), 10M (3648 x 2736), 8M (3264 x 2448), 5M (2560 x 1920)
– Bit Rate: 8M bps, 1080P/30f
– Video Format: MOV
– Image format: .jpg
– File formats: JPEG, H.264
– Date & Time Stamp: Off, Date, Date & Time
– Model: F56
– Color: Black
– Material: ABS
– Dimensions: L61 x D30 x H41mm
– Weight: 62g
– Keys: Power key, Mode key, Enter key, Up key, Down key
– Interface: TF card slot, micro USB interfaces, micro HDMI Interface
– Modes: 1. Record, 2. Car, 3. Photo, 4. Playback (menu settings for 1-3)
– Screen Rotation: On, Off
– Integrated Colour LCD Screen Size: 2.0-inch screen
– Playback Mode: Play Video, View Image & Protect, Delete, files
– Exposure: AE- Resolution: 176 (RGB) x 220
– Focus: Fixed Focus
– Image Sensor: 5MP CMOS
– Lens: 120 Degree Wide Angle
– Lens: Focal length f = 3.55mm
– Aperture: 2.5
– CPU: SPCA6330M
– Memory: 8M
– System Memory: 1GB
– System free space: 2GB
– System Requirements: OS Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / 7/8 Hardware Intel / AMD Dual-Core CPU or above
– microSD Memory Card: 32GB Max (Tested with 64GB Class 10 and it works fine)
– HDMI out to connect to TV
– Battery: 900mAh
– Battery life: More than 1 year
– Battery of Remote Control: 1*CR2032 button battery
– Charge Time: Approx 4 Hours
– Auto Off (power save): Off, 1, 3, 5 mins
– Screen Save: Off, 1, 3, 5 min
– Supported languages: English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
– Free “iSmart DV” app available from Google Play or Apple Appstore In the Box:
– Memteq Action/Sports Camera
– Waterproof Case
– Remote Control
– Bike Mount
– 3M Adhesive Pad
– 2 Thumbscrews
– 2 Straps
– 1 Toolkit
– 1 Camera Bracket
– USB to micro USB Charge Lead
– Storage case
– User Guide
– Charge the integrated battery by connecting the USB lead to PC, Mac or USB Hub; red light on for charge, off for full-charge.
– Power on camera by holding a bottom button for 4 seconds.
– A camera on click M button to switch between the 4 modes.
– A camera on press bottom button to enter menu > switch tab with M button > press bottom button to exit menu.
– Format the microSD card prior to use: enter menu > switch tab > scroll to format.
– Set-up WiFi: Turn on Wifi on your phone > turn on the camera and press and hold the red shutter button for 3 seconds > once connected click the iSmart DV app on your phone.