When approached by DBPOWER to test and review the 720P “wireless lucky star” camera I was more than interested. I’m running 2 x IP cameras at home in conjunction with the superb Sighthound software and I’ve recently taken someone to court and won using footage from my cameras, so I fully understand the importance of surveillance and evidence in modern day life. Be it outside watching your car or house, or inside watching your office, or more importantly your child or pet.
With home surveillance technology, the hardware tends to be robust, but software often falls short. However with this camera, the software equals the hardware, and both are superb offering excellent value for the low investment. It’s a simple camera and yet feature rich.You set-up and control the camera via an app on your Android or Apple smartphone or tablet. It’s a very simple set-up process via QR Code, LAN or 1 button WPS/QSS. The camera is easy to use and adjust, be it for surveillance with or without sound, or to record video, take snapshot photos, set up email or FTP motion detection alerts. As a bonus you can export videos as MP4 and photos as jpeg which is rare on cameras under 50. The media is saved to your phone “IPCamera” folder.
The camera has 1280 x 720p HD resolution and the quality is superb for such a small investment. I’ve tested it in various rooms and locations including looking through glass and all are great for optimum security and peace of mind be it watching your child, pet or vehicle. The quality is definitely good enough for court evidence and a prosecution. The data from the DBPOWER camera is sent directly to the DB CAM smartphone or tablet app.If you simply want surveillance with alerts to your mobile phone this camera is perfect. I would certainly recommend the camera if you want a high-value wireless camera, and you’ll struggle to find better for the low cost.
Setting up the camera is a simple process using the “DD CAM” app. Once set up, you can remotely view videos on your smartphone or tablet and playback recordings, view snapshot photos, check alerts. Click the gear icon > Advanced Settings and you can edit multiple settings including password, time setting, motion detection, email alerts, FTP, plus more.Mounting the Camera:Position the camera in a good location near to a mains socket. You can desk, wall or ceiling mount the camera.
SETTING UP THE CAMERA USING THE DB CAM APP:
1. Ensure WiFi is turned on your router and phone, and that you have your router password handy.
2. Power the camera and wait until the blue LED flashes slowly.
3. Download the ‘DB CAM’ app for your Android or iPhone from the app store, open the app and enter your router username and password and click “Send Configuration by Sound”. Now place your phone next to the camera microphone until the blue LED flashes fast.
4. Now scan the QR code on the back of the camera using your smartphone. When you hear a beep, the 2 have now connected. Click “Save”.
1. You can use the “LAN Search” and use username “admin” and “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6” as the password.
2. WPS/QSS. If you have WPS set up on your router, power the camera and after 1 minute press and hold the WPS button for 3-5 seconds. Click the WPS button on the router and the 2 will connect, signified by a fast flashing LED and then a permanent static LED.
– Wireless camera with One Power Lead Connection (included)
– Wireless: WIFI, 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz – not compatible with 5GHz)
– Setup via mobile app
– Nice Compact Design
– 1280 x 720P HD Video
– Video compression: H.264
– Easy Set-up (One key WPS, QR Code, LAN)
– Audio: Built in Speaker & Mic
– H.264 Compression
– Lens: 1/4″ CMOS Sensor, 60 degree viewing angle
– Remote viewing
– Motion Detection alarm sending picture/video (Email, FTP)
– Image resolution: 720P (1280 x 720)
– Alarm trigger: Intelligent motion detection
– Alarm action: notifications on the phone
– DB CAM Smartphone App: iOS 4.3+, Android 2.2+
– Dimensions: H7.7 x W6.4 x D4.5
– Weight: 59g
In the Box:
– HD Camera
– Mounting Bracket + Screws
– 1.5ft Mains Power Lead
– Quick Start Guide